Subject: help booting Powerbook 3400c/ Newbie
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Pedro Alves <alves@pobox.igr.fr>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/14/2001 16:09:03
Hi, dear friends
I can't make the powerbook boot from the bootable CD (ISO 9660).
Probably I address incorrectly the boot command. Since I don't know
what is the alias to use and the ID number. Thus, I joint in this
mail, all the data relative to my machine printed from OF.
Thanks,
Pedro

OF 2.0.1
setenv real-base  done!

When i type "dev / ls" in OF it prints:

(...)
/bandit@F2000000
	/ohare@10
		/mesh@10000
			/sd@0,0
			/st@0,0
		/escc@13000
			/ch-a@13020
			/ch-b@13000
		/awacs@14000
		/media-bay@34
			/floppy@15000
			/ata@21000
				/atapi-disk@0,0
		/ata@20000
			/ata-disk@0,0
		/via-pmu@16000

(...)

"devalias" results into:

(...)
scsi 		/bandit/ohare/mesh
scsi-int 	/bandit/ohare/mesh
ata0		/bandit/ohare/ata
ata-int		/bandit/ohare/ata
ata2		/bandit/ti1130@13
ata3		/bandit/ti1130@13,1
ata1		/bandit/ohare/media-bay/ata
bay-ata		/bandit/ohare/media-bay/ata/ata-disk
atapi		/bandit/ohare/media-bay/ata/atapi-disk
fd			/bandit/ohare/media-bay/floppy
ok

I'm trying to boot from an CD-ROM inserted in the CD-ROM media bay of
the Powerbook;
The CD, is an ISO9660 formated, containing a booting image of NetBSD 1.5

I tried:

boot /bandit/ohare/media/bay/ata-disk@0:0,OFWBOOT.XCF NETBSD.RAM -as
boot /bandit/ohare/media/bay/ata-disk:0,OFWBOOT.XCF NETBSD.RAM -as
boot /bandit/ohare/media/bay/atapi-disk@0:0,OFWBOOT.XCF NETBSD.RAM -as
boot /bandit/ohare/media/bay/atapi-disk:0,OFWBOOT.XCF NETBSD.RAM -as

result was always "Can't OPEN:"

I check dev/bandit/ohare/media/bay/ata-disk

result can't find device

however

dev/bandit/ohare/media/bay/atapi-disk

resulted ok and words command showed open.

What I can do more? I can't boot.
Please Any idea, or suggestion.

--
________ end of e-mail __________