Subject: Re: Installing 1.5 on mac G4 AGP getting me nuts !
To: Samuel Hornus <Samuel.Hornus@crans.org>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/13/2001 11:59:30
At 8:48 PM +0200 5/13/01, Samuel Hornus wrote:

:)Hmmmm... I'm not sure to be able to wait sooooo long ;-)

Then take the 1.5.1_BETA2 snapshot.  What we call BETA is what most other
OSes call a .0 release.  Put the floppy boot.fs file on an HFS partition,
along with ofwboot.xcf.  Type:
boot hd:ofwboot.xcf hd:boot.fs

That should work, but I don't think the INSTALL kernel has ethernet drivers
for OF3 systems yet, so you'd need the distribution sets on a CD-R.

Once it's booted, then you should wait for a few hours.  I'm going to write
up the next set of steps this afternoon, and I'll post the revised INSTALL
notes here sometime this afternoon.

:)The real strange thing is that OpenFirmware boots correctly the
:)1.5 GENERIC kernel, but not the 1.5 install kernel (netbsd.ram). Perhaps
:)because the install kernel is too big ?

No, this is normal.  OF3 does not reliably load ELF kernels.  We don't know
why it works on some and not on others.

:)I have done a Open Firmware upgrade : here is the top line when booting
:)into OFW :
:)
:)Apple PowerMac3,1 4.1.8f5 BootROM built...
:)
:)does that mean it is OpenFirmware version 4.1.8 ?

No, this means it's BootROM 4.1.8f5.  It's still Open Firmware 3, see:
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/faq.html#ofw-version

Good luck,
  -- MW