Subject: Re: Can an older Mac mini-din connect to a USB for a serial connection
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: None <josh@ssimr.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/12/2001 16:33:53
On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 08:11:28AM -0700, Michael Wolfson wrote:
> At 8:37 AM -0400 5/9/01, you wrote:
>
> :)(1) If the various people who install would write scenarios for their
> :)equipment.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean -- are you suggesting that the person installing
> NetBSD should write down what they intend to do with their machine, and
> think out (and double-check) their install procedure before starting?

I think that it might be nice (not that I've done it) for people, at
least ones like me to make notes of what happened or at least what
worked and what needed to be avoided for a given model.

In my case with a PowerMacintosh 6500/300:

1. System disk doesn't work - bootvars was adequate (unless it gets
reset and I need to get at the OF again before i get one of those
usb-serial adaptors - I missed getting one for under 30 on eBay - but
I'm starting to digress.)

2. My NIC was unusable for an FTP install for reasons mentioned in a

3.  I wasn't able to boot from a bootable CD though I was certainly
able to use the CD to create the boot floppy and as a source for the
installation.

4. There was some sort of bug in the disk formatting when chosing a
custom image. As far as I can tell I got around this by chosing
cylinders as opposed to Megabytes - with megabytes I got messages that
there was overlap in partitions. /usr seems to be erased after being
created with the custom partition software.

--
Josh Kuperman
josh@ssimr.com