Subject: Re: awacs audio
To: Louis Gerbarg <gerbal@cs.rpi.edu>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/10/2001 07:53:16
At 6:32 PM -0400 5/9/01, Louis Gerbarg wrote:

:)The Beige G3's audio varies on what personality card you have. It uses
:)Burgundy if you have the DVD card, I think. My Pismo G3 is using Burgundy.
:)
:)I have never heard of AWACS Screamer...
:)
:)The iBook uses an IC called Screamer. It is an I2S controller that is run
:)off one of the internal serial ports (one of the reasons the iBook has no
:)IrDA). The newer iBooks and digitial Audio G4's use Tumbler (I have no
:)idea how this is interfaced).

Well, interestingly enough, I tried the 1.5.1 GENERIC kernel on my
PowerBook (FireWire), and it recognized the awacs0 device and configured it
as audio0!  I don't have 1.5.1 userland installed yet, so I could try it
out.  I'll do that this weekend.  I guess the screamer emulates awacs.

  -- MW