Subject: Re: awacs audio
To: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
From: Louis Gerbarg <gerbal@cs.rpi.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/09/2001 18:32:34
On Wed, 9 May 2001, Chris Tribo wrote:

> On Wed, 9 May 2001, Michael Wolfson wrote:
>
> > :)	If the driver worked right, it would be anything from a 6100 to
> > :)below a Digital Audio G3/G4/Laptop. Unless someone knows otherwise, I'd
> > :)say it's untested, and known not to work on the AWACS Screamer on a Beige
> > :)G3. FWIW, the chipset of the Screamer is Crystal CSA4212-KL.
> >
> > Really?  My impression (from MacOS X) was that there were three audio
> > devices -- pre-G3 were "awacs", the AV Beige G3s had "burgundy", and the
> > new world machines had "screamer".  I'll have to try on my PowerBook
> > (FireWire) this weekend.
>
> 	Sort of, all the Beige G3's use AWACS Screamer, Pre-G3's use just
> regular AWACS. I don't know where exactly the Burgundy chip was
> introduced, but I seem to recall it being one of the PowerBooks.

The Beige G3's audio varies on what personality card you have. It uses
Burgundy if you have the DVD card, I think. My Pismo G3 is using Burgundy.

I have never heard of AWACS Screamer...

The iBook uses an IC called Screamer. It is an I2S controller that is run
off one of the internal serial ports (one of the reasons the iBook has no
IrDA). The newer iBooks and digitial Audio G4's use Tumbler (I have no
idea how this is interfaced).

Louis