Subject: Re: awacs audio
To: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/09/2001 17:12:21
On Wed, 9 May 2001, Michael Wolfson wrote:

<snip>
> and lengths.  My guess at this point is that it's not telling the mixer
> what input source to listen to.

	Sounds logical, having the chip documentation would be
helpful. Did anyone check if any i386 sound cards use that Crystal chip
and we might already have a working driver?

> Cool, bleeding edge!  Well, I can definitively say that mpg123 plays audio
> just fine (albeit using the worst speaker possible) on my 7300.  Does that
> make me the first person to actually get NetBSD/macppc to play audio using
> the built-in device, or you two have tried on various machines and found
> only your Beige G3s to not work?

	Well, more like three people have reported back to the list that
it has worked / not-worked. (to my recolection, not counting tech-kern,
ofwppc or current-users)

> If only three people have tried it, I'd be hesitant to put into the 1.5.1
> release notes even that it's untested.  What's the consensus on this?

	I could be completely wrong.

> :)	If the driver worked right, it would be anything from a 6100 to
> :)below a Digital Audio G3/G4/Laptop. Unless someone knows otherwise, I'd
> :)say it's untested, and known not to work on the AWACS Screamer on a Beige
> :)G3. FWIW, the chipset of the Screamer is Crystal CSA4212-KL.
>
> Really?  My impression (from MacOS X) was that there were three audio
> devices -- pre-G3 were "awacs", the AV Beige G3s had "burgundy", and the
> new world machines had "screamer".  I'll have to try on my PowerBook
> (FireWire) this weekend.

	Sort of, all the Beige G3's use AWACS Screamer, Pre-G3's use just
regular AWACS. I don't know where exactly the Burgundy chip was
introduced, but I seem to recall it being one of the PowerBooks.

	Chris