Subject: Re: awacs audio
To: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/09/2001 08:45:49
At 11:07 AM -0400 5/9/01, Chris Tribo wrote:

:)	While I haven't tried it, make sure they're using /dev/cd0c and
:)not /dev/cd0d (i386ism) I hope you don't have an AppleVision monitor,
:)because all those controls are handled through ADB or the monitor info
:)pins, neither of which is supported.

OK, good point.  I just double-checked and the audio cable from the CD-ROM
is going to the motherboard, xmcd is finding the correct drive, finding the
CD, finding titles and album names, and knows the correct number of tracks
and lengths.  My guess at this point is that it's not telling the mixer
what input source to listen to.

In any case, most audio apps I've tried have either crashed or not
recognized the sound files I've tried (and I've been unwilling to build
gnome and kde just to try out the others ;).  So far, mpg123 is the one
that always works.

:)	The driver was just pulled up for 1.5 and AFAIK, you, Bill
:)Studmend and I are the only three people to try using sound. We both have
:)Beige G3's (AWACS Screamer) and can neither play or record sound last I
:)heard.

Cool, bleeding edge!  Well, I can definitively say that mpg123 plays audio
just fine (albeit using the worst speaker possible) on my 7300.  Does that
make me the first person to actually get NetBSD/macppc to play audio using
the built-in device, or you two have tried on various machines and found
only your Beige G3s to not work?

If only three people have tried it, I'd be hesitant to put into the 1.5.1
release notes even that it's untested.  What's the consensus on this?

:)	If the driver worked right, it would be anything from a 6100 to
:)below a Digital Audio G3/G4/Laptop. Unless someone knows otherwise, I'd
:)say it's untested, and known not to work on the AWACS Screamer on a Beige
:)G3. FWIW, the chipset of the Screamer is Crystal CSA4212-KL.

Really?  My impression (from MacOS X) was that there were three audio
devices -- pre-G3 were "awacs", the AV Beige G3s had "burgundy", and the
new world machines had "screamer".  I'll have to try on my PowerBook
(FireWire) this weekend.

Thanks, guys!

  -- MW