Subject: Re: awacs audio
To: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/09/2001 11:07:38
On Tue, 8 May 2001, Michael Wolfson wrote:

> Howdy all,
>
> I just started playing with audio on my 7300 with 1.5.1_BETA, and had a
> couple of questions.  How do I play audio CDs and mp3's through the
> headphone port (i.e. connected to good speakers)?  mpg123 and audioplay
> ignore the settings, and changing the monitor setting with mixerctl does
> nothing.  As for audio CDs, very few of the pkgsrc/audio programs actually
> work (they compile fine).  I'm still compiling xmcd in the hopes that it's
> better than xcdplayer.

	While I haven't tried it, make sure they're using /dev/cd0c and
not /dev/cd0d (i386ism) I hope you don't have an AppleVision monitor,
because all those controls are handled through ADB or the monitor info
pins, neither of which is supported.

> Shouldn't there be a man page describing the capabilities of the AWACS
> support (like the sb(4) or ym(4) man pages) so someone like me would at
> least know how to set the output port, and whether recording is supported?

	The driver was just pulled up for 1.5 and AFAIK, you, Bill
Studmend and I are the only three people to try using sound. We both have
Beige G3's (AWACS Screamer) and can neither play or record sound last I
heard.

> Also, for the FAQ/INSTALL notes, does anyone have any idea what models are
> supported with this AWACS driver?

	If the driver worked right, it would be anything from a 6100 to
below a Digital Audio G3/G4/Laptop. Unless someone knows otherwise, I'd
say it's untested, and known not to work on the AWACS Screamer on a Beige
G3. FWIW, the chipset of the Screamer is Crystal CSA4212-KL.

	Chris