Subject: FW: successful install on new G4
To: 'port-macppc@netbsd.org' <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Kritsch <greg@evertz.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/03/2001 13:31:53
Mental note: reply to ALL.

Gregory

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Kritsch
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2001 11:48 AM
To: 'Andrew White'
Subject: RE: successful install on new G4

> Greg Kritsch wrote:
> >
> > I installed it to dual boot, according to instructions
> posted to this
> > list recently.  Whoever posted those instructions, next
> time you should
> > put your name and stuff somewhere in the text file, so that
> due credit
> > can be given.
>
> Well, I posted instructions for doing so on 10 April, booting
> from the 1.5
> Distro CD.  Charles M Hannum posted another version on 24
> Mar, but they
> didn't work correctly for me.

I used your instructions, many thanks for the useful information.

> I will point out a tension here for the standard documentation.  The
> standard stuff covers a simple install for every platform.
> Installing 1.5
> on a G4 dual-boot single drive requires you to jump through a
> completely
> different set of hoops.

The standard documentation guided me just fine through a G4 AGP install a
year or so ago.  I wanted the new machine to dual boot just in case I ever
have a use for MacOS, as unlikely as that seems.

> A problem I came across recently.
>
> If you use the 3 partition (root, swap, usr) setup described
> in my document,
> you will discover that 'home' lives in the root volume not
> the usr volume.
> This can cause / to run out of space quite quickly.  An easy fix that
> doesn't involve rebuilding the earth.
>
> 	# mv /home /usr/
> 	# mkdir /home
> 	# mount -t null /home/usr /home
>
> and then in fstab
>
> 	/home/usr /home null rw
>
> /home is now physically resident in /usr/home, but can still
> be accessed
> (transparently) via /home.  This does mean you can't get to
> /home until
> mounting /usr, but going single user mode is the only time I
> can see this
> happening, and then it isn't an issue.

I have my own partitioning rules that I follow, so I had to adapt your
document.  I NFS mount /home.  For interest's sake, here's my general
partitioning advice:

/        128 M
swap     minimum 2x real memory
/var     512 M
/usr     2 G
/home    (unless you NFS mount it)
/export

This is from a few years experience with FreeBSD systems, but the same
numbers seem to work nicely for NetBSD/macppc.  If your machine is mostly
standalone, there's no reason to separate /export and /home, combine them to
occupy the rest of the disk.

> --
> Andrew White                Andrew.E.White@motorola.com

Gregory