Subject: Re: successful install on new G4
To: 'port-macppc@netbsd.org' <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew White <awhite@arc.corp.mot.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/03/2001 12:46:18
Greg Kritsch wrote:

> Just to let everyone know, I've successfully installed the 1.5 release
> NetBSD on a brand new 466 MHz G4.  I can't quite figure out if it's a
> (digital audio) or a (gigabit ethernet) machine, it seems to have both.
> In any case, some of the model support information seemed to suggest that
> I would need -current for this machine, this is apparently not the case.
>
> I installed it to dual boot, according to instructions posted to this
> list recently.  Whoever posted those instructions, next time you should
> put your name and stuff somewhere in the text file, so that due credit
> can be given.

Well, I posted instructions for doing so on 10 April, booting from the 1.5
Distro CD.  Charles M Hannum posted another version on 24 Mar, but they
didn't work correctly for me.

While I didn't put any credits in the text file, the information IS there in
the e-mail header and footer. :)

I will point out a tension here for the standard documentation.  The
standard stuff covers a simple install for every platform.  Installing 1.5
on a G4 dual-boot single drive requires you to jump through a completely
different set of hoops.

A problem I came across recently.

If you use the 3 partition (root, swap, usr) setup described in my document,
you will discover that 'home' lives in the root volume not the usr volume.
This can cause / to run out of space quite quickly.  An easy fix that
doesn't involve rebuilding the earth.

	# mv /home /usr/
	# mkdir /home
	# mount -t null /home/usr /home

and then in fstab

	/home/usr /home null rw

/home is now physically resident in /usr/home, but can still be accessed
(transparently) via /home.  This does mean you can't get to /home until
mounting /usr, but going single user mode is the only time I can see this
happening, and then it isn't an issue.

Final request:  Is it possible to include 'vi' in the boot.fs shipped for
OF3 use?  Currently, there is no visual editor in boot.fs and editors
mounted in /usr won't run, so it's quite tricky to edit configuration files
without rebooting into single user mode.

--
Andrew White                Andrew.E.White@motorola.com