Subject: Re: `auto-reboot? true' just hangs
To: Martin J. Laubach <mjl@emsi.priv.at>
From: Charlie Allom <charlie@rubberduck.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/01/2001 18:31:00
On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 07:16:40PM -0400, Allen Briggs wrote:

> I've found that my 8500 doesn't do a cold boot with auto-boot? true
> because the disk isn't finished spinning up when OF tries to boot.  I
> don't know if that particular cause was covered earlier in the thread

a little rant:

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/nvedit.html defines an nvramrc
script that will boot from the command `wBoot'.

The sublink
<http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/SystemDisk-tutorial/of105patch2.txt>
has the same script, with the `\' character at each line. A
friend tells me that a backslash is a comment in Forth. Are these
characters there to stop any extraneous white space? Do I need
them? I get OF booting errors (can't fine ide0/@0:0) with them.

This is what my nvramrc looks like, anyone care to show me what
I'm doing wrong? (no whitespaces after the end of lines btw).

http://rubberduck.com/printenv.txt

I don't know what that prompt is doing half way down - a terminal
app discrepancy most likely.

In fact, setting the limit to 10000 ms crashes my kernel when it
tries to find wd0a - this may or may not be related (I think so)
because I've been having some kernel crashes on startup lately :P

I have tried everything from 1000 ms to 3k and this 10k entry.

I never see the text "Waiting for boot-device" !

anyone care to tell me if I have anything wrong?

Regards,
  Charlie.
--
 charlie@rubberduck.com    Melbourne, Australia