Subject: Re: running sysinst from floppy resets real-base. was Re:
To: None <josh@ssimr.com>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/28/2001 11:07:17
At 1:23 PM -0400 4/28/01, josh@ssimr.com wrote:

:)The install
:)program wants to use tlp0 as the networking device, the actual device
:)is a Farallon PCI card which is de0 after the install.

I thought this had been fixed.  I'll file a PR.

:)When I rebooted, after just
:)running the network install utility program on the floppy, it had
:)reset the real-base to -1. I was able to repeat this; if you count
:)just running the program without doing anything with it, i.e. I didn't
:)touch the actual installation on my hard disk AFAIK.

Well, if the MacOS ROMs start running, they'll blow away the real-base
setting.  This happens, even if you don't have MacOS on your system anymore
-- it's the ROM that starts loading MacOS.

Also, I found (on my 7500) that you must run:
setenv real-base F00000
reset-all

You really actually do need to reset your machine after setevn'ing
real-base, or else it won't stick.

If you're doing all this (i.e. never entering MacOS ROMs, reset'ing your
machine after setenv'ing real-base), then I'll need confirmation from
someone else with your model of mac before putting a note in models.html.
You said you had a 6400, right?

If there really is no way for your model to keep the real-base setting,
then the workaround is to compile a kernel that's small enough ( <3 MB I
believe) that it doesn't hang.  That's easy -- just remove all the USB
devices from your kernel options.

:)Well its almost booting - I just have a file descriptor shortage,
:)which keeps it from succeeding to boot all the way into multiuser mode
:)and mounting the partitions.

That's ... weird.  Not sure how to help you here.

Good luck,
  -- MW