Subject: Re: 601 Processor
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <p99dreyf@criens.u-psud.fr>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/26/2001 10:23:00
gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net> wrote:

> The mac68k port deals with it, effectively, by ignoring the problem:
> we boot out of MacOS there, so that it will initialize the hardware for
> us. (Not dissimilar to how we treat OpenFirmware in the macppc
> port, really, since we just use the devices however OF initialized
> them for us.)

Well there is currently a thread in port-macppc about kernel startup and
entry vectors. It seems that Louis Gerbarg from the Darwin project might
add NetBSD support to bootX. As fas as I understand, BootX launch a UNIX
kernel from the MacOS, and gives it a device tree similar to what we
currently get from OpenFirmware.

See http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2001/04/24/0007.html

It seems to me that BootX support means that we would be able to boot
NetBSD on machines without OpenFirmware too. Then this is a matter of
getting NuBus support from mac68k and 601 support from upcoming rs6000
port.

How far this would be, I don't know. BootX support seems not that far away,
but I have no idea of rs6000 port status. Additionnaly, care should be
taken to ensure that 601 support for rs6000 would be sharable with other
powerPC ports. Then for NuBus, nobody said he would do it.

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
Pas de processeur Intel, pas de logiciel Microsoft: