Subject: Re: 601 Processor
To: Robby Taylor <robbyt@mac.com>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/25/2001 19:31:29
On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 07:22:44PM -0400, Robby Taylor wrote:
> Does this mean that one day I might be able to run NetBSD on my 6100?  That
> might be nice.  Anyone know how far off this might be?

Did you read the FAQ entries?

We might get 601 support from the rs6000 port, but no one has even
considered how to deal with nubus.

The mac68k port deals with it, effectively, by ignoring the problem:
we boot out of MacOS there, so that it will initialize the hardware for
us. (Not dissimilar to how we treat OpenFirmware in the macppc
port, really, since we just use the devices however OF initialized
them for us.)

There have been theories that merging what mac68k does to boot with
601 support from rs6000 would be a good way to get things working on
a nubus 601 machine, but that'd effectively be another port
somewhere between mac68k and macppc, which is just hideous
organizationally.

Short story: nobody is actively working on this particular problem,
and nobody has yet. If you're interested in seeing it happen,
perhaps you would like to contribute?

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net