Subject: Re: COMPAT_LINUX?
To: None <p99dreyf@criens.u-psud.fr>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/25/2001 19:25:51
> > Only after return from the execve system call to userland, the shell
> > which tried to execute the binary will then try to interpret the
> > executable as a shell script.  The exact behaviour here depends on the
> > particular shell you are using.
>
> IMHO, we should have an error message fired by execve() in libc in such
> a situation.

DON'T DO THAT!

It's not the business of libc to output random error messages,
especially for simple system call wrappers.

One might argue about changing execve to return a different error code
if it doesn't find the dynamic linker.  (Though IMHO it is a bug of
the ELF dynamic linking scheme that the kernel has to load the linker
in the first place.)

Ciao,
Wolfgang
--