Subject: Re: COMPAT_LINUX?
To: Andrew Cagney <cagney@tpgi.com.au>
From: SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.ne.jp>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/25/2001 08:26:34
Hi Andrew,  I'm happy to hear your testing on the stuff.

Andrew Cagney <cagney@tpgi.com.au> wrote:

Andrew> Hello,

Andrew> I think I've configured the kernel for running
Andrew> linux/ppc binaries such as communicator:

Andrew> $ grep COMPAT_LINUX *.[hc]
Andrew> opt_compat_linux.h:#define      COMPAT_LINUX    1
Andrew> $ grep COMPAT_LINUX ../../conf/NETLUX
Andrew> options         COMPAT_LINUX
Andrew> $

Do you have a string "NETLUX" in the result of 'uname -a'?
In other words, do you install and boot from the kernel you
build?  'nm /netbsd|grep linux_sys|wc -l' returns 110 here.

Should we have a sysctl variable to show the status of
compat stuff?

Andrew> but it doesn't appear to work:

Andrew> $ communicator
Andrew> /usr/pkg/lib/netscape/netscape-communicator: 1: Syntax error: "("
Andrew> unexpected
Andrew> $ /usr/pkg/lib/netscape/netscape-communicator
Andrew> bash: /usr/pkg/lib/netscape/netscape-communicator: cannot execute binary
Andrew> file

Hmm, the symptom indicates for me that compat_linux stuff is
not enabled in your kernel.

Here is the result in the box enabled compat_linux.

$ /usr/pkg/lib/netscape/netscape-communicator
Error: Can't open display:

The error message just says I didn't set the DISPLAY
environment variable.  And in the box not enabled
compat_linux,

$ /usr/pkg/lib/netscape/netscape-communicator
/usr/pkg/lib/netscape/netscape-communicator: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

BTW, you may want to run /usr/pkg/bin/communicator wrapper
script, instead of calling /usr/pkg/lib/netscape/* directly.

Andrew> Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Yes, I guess.

--
SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.ne.jp>
http://www05.u-page.so-net.ne.jp/ba2/kei_sun/