Subject: Re: bootable iso image
From: None <josh@ssimr.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/23/2001 20:04:51
First, thanks for undertaking the documentation.

Also, when I have problems, they have more to do with the variations
in hardware than failures in documentation. (Still it would be nice if
there was a note in the readme file that says which versions of open
firmware will boot a cd.) A PowerMacintosh 6500/300, while not exactly
a rare and unique machine is in a lot of subtle ways, notably the two
PCI slots and the 603e processor, an odd ball. Then, I have a Farallon
FAST ETHERTX 10/100 PCI ETHERNET CARD and an ATI Xclaim Pro video card
taking up my two PCI slots. So between the the PCI cards and the
relatively small distribution it is very possible that I can trigger
all kinds of errors that may occur only my machine.

On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 08:58:59PM -0700, Michael Wolfson wrote:
> At 11:43 PM -0400 4/22/01, josh@ssimr.com wrote:
>
> :)> What type of CD is it?  Pure ISO9660 or hybrid HFS/ISO?
> :)

[snip]

> If you insert it into a MacOS system, select the CD-R icon, and pick "Get
> Info" from the "File" menu, it'll have a "Format" line listing "MacOS" (for
> HFS or hybrid -- MacOS doesn't mount the ISO portion of a hybrid disk) or
> as "ISO 9660".

well according to the get info, info its format is "MacOS Standard",
which may explain my inability to do anything with it, including
mounting it from the floppy. Should a "MacOS Standard disk be
creatable as an iso, and useable for installation? Is there something
wrong with the software I used on the PC to make the disk? So perhaps
the NetBSD ftp site is simply putting out the wrong image type
altogether???

Is there a searchable archive of the list available? I've been going
through the last four of five months manually. I wound up sending
e-mail to someone who seemed to have a problem similar to the "ring
buffer overrun" I experienced when attempting an ftp install. He had
given up and gone over to use Suse Linux. I'd like to be sure I can
find what everyone did before, or at least what people who solved
similar problems to the ones I seem to be having, did before.

--
Josh Kuperman
josh@ssimr.com