Subject: Re: Booting from 2940UW Controller
To: None <mw@blobulent.com>
From: James T. Nelson <jnelson@wiai.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/23/2001 13:02:36
I updated the 2940 firmware to the latest version, using the AV version.
Evidently, that was  mistake.  I also have the non-AV version of firmware
for teh 2940.  Would it make sense to flash the 2940 with the non AV
version?  Sounds like it would.    My 7500 was not purchased as an AV
system.

Can I use a floppy bootloader and kernel, such as the install disk.  There
must be an "fstab" on the floppy that must be edited to make this work.

I still do not understand why I cannot boot using ofwboot that is loaded
from the installation disk, and then just enter the location of the netbsd
that is to be booted.  The installation notes imply that this should be
possible, eg:

0> boot  fd:0  /bandit/ADPT,2940UW/@6:0,netbsd

Is this a limitation of ofwboot, or of the system architecture.  The apple
boot loader /AAPL,ROM has no trouble pulling this off, somehow.

Actually, when i execute:

0> boot fd:0 -a

I get the prompt, "Boot:".  Is this "ofwboot" talking to me?

Thanks a bunch.

Jim

Jim