Subject: Older B&W G3 woes
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel Parks <danielp@reed.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/22/2001 20:36:07
I've been trying to install 1.5 on an older B&W G3. It's been
upgraded from 350MHz to 450, has 320MB RAM, has a DVD drive and a Zip
drive that was added on later. It has one 18GB hard drive, which is
attached to a Sonnet Tempo Ultra ATA66 (ACARD,6260) card which likes
to pretend it's a SCSI card. (Why?!)

I have to have the hard drive attached to the card to get it to boot
MacOS. In order to boot Darwin, I have to have it attached to the
motherboard. It boots fine if I attach it to the port marked "ULTRA
ATA" on the motherboard.

NetBSD seems to be more picky. I have been netbooting it off my Q650,
and in order to get a keyboard to work, I have to plug in my ADB
keyboard, unplug my USB mouse (and my USB keyboard), enter OF, boot
it, wait for the prompt asking if vt100 is ok, unplug the ADB
keyboard and plug in the USB keyboard, hit shift, and then it works.

At the bottom of the screen there is a message about usb keyboard
ihandle not found or something like that, then a message about adb
keyboard ihandle not found. This happens however I have things
plugged in, and it doesn't go away. I can get the exact message if
anyone wants it.

OK, so I can get it into sysinst. The only way to get sysinst to
recognize my hard drive is plug it into the motherboard where my Zip
and DVD are currently plugged in... the ULTRA ATA port doesn't work.

To newfs the root filesystem: do I access it through /dev/rwd0h (8th
partition, first IDE disk), or do I access it through /dev/rwd0a
(root partition) or what? It would be nice if the process of avoiding
sysinst was covered in the install doc.

I also read that Darwin sometimes trashes NetBSD partitions... does
anyone know how to avoid this? Can I set the partition type to
NETBSD? Can I do this with Bob Nestor's version of pdisk?

Sorry this is long, but I'm a bit confused on some points.

Thanks in advance,
Daniel
--
maybe it will snow