Subject: imac dv modem port problem
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Tom Winchester <tom.winchester@internode.on.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/20/2001 20:20:01
Help!

imac dv modem port problem

About a month I installed netbsd-macppc-1.5 onto my imac-dv as a
dual-boot system. Many thanks to the people at the
http://www.ki.nu/software/NetBSD/iBook2/link.html site.

I am new to unix system administration, although I have been an end-user
of a solaris system for many years. It is nice to see what haappens on
the other side of the fence.

netbsd-macppc-1.5 works nicely, and the pkg_scr system makes putting
software onto the system easy- from cd. With a degree of effort, I got X
up and running, and configured to taste. This side of the computer is a
learning experience for me, and I don't mind a bit of effort.

However, despite overcoming the hurdles of installation, getting the
modem on the imac to work has to date totally defied all of my efforts.

I have trawled the netbsd-macppc archive, and searched the entire netbsd
archive on this issue.

To date I have:

tried tty00, tty01 and dty00 dty01 with tip and cu

ensured that the above files are uucp.wheel, with 'rw-' from uucp only

added my user account to the group 'dialer'

in the case of tty's, ensured that the /etc/getty file has the device
turned off

On all occasions the response is the same: with cu it responds with
connected, and I can use ~. to disconnect and drop back to the shell,
and ~! for the help list. However, in between the commands are not
echoed at all and there is no response at all to simple hayes modem
commands such as ATZ. With tip, the only extra behaviour I have observed
to date is when I use the /etc/remote file to set parity and cd, in
which case I do get echo to the screen which is garbled without setting
the parity right.

So, would anybody out there have any idea as to what is going on, and/or
suggestions as to what to try to get this modem going?

Thanks in advance.

Tom Winchester