Subject: Re: connection timeouts behind firewalls
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: Daniel Lamblin <daniell@slithy.toves.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/18/2001 19:10:36
On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 02:22:30PM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> Why is your firewall dropping the connection for you? I use NAT, and when
> logging from inside my house to other sites, I don't have a
> dropping-connection problem (*).

Its my firewall at work; I don't understand it all either... but I was pretty
sure that connections that use nat have to a) originate from the inside unless
port maping is involved or some name information is available, and b) can't
continue forever after you go idle because the address translation table has
to eventually free up some (least used) space somewhere for all the other
people that may want to go through the firewall... But then, I'm not sure.

> The only other thing I can think of is to use screen, which is in the
> package collection. It lets you run a program on a virtual screen, which
> you can detatch and re-attach. I use it to keep long-running icb sessions
> active. You'd use "screen vi file". Then if things died, you could come in
> and do a "scree -r -D" where -r means re-attach and -D means detatch it
> even though it looks like the other screen is still alive.

Thankyou bill that sounds pretty cool, and pretty close to what I'd need.