Subject: Re: Snapshot 2001-03-23
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/17/2001 12:26:37
I got the following privately, and am posting it here with
Emmanuel's permission:

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 09:59:37AM +0200, Emmanuel Pineau wrote:
> I'm trying to install your snapshot on a G3 B&W OF3. I use
> netbsd.ram.gz the installation kernel that contain all devices. It
> is very interesting for me because it's the only installation kernel
> that recognize my two IDE hard disks. But I have a problem. The
> system boot correctly and then stop after displaying "Terminal
> vt100?". I hit the shift key then return key but nothing happen.
> What can I do? Is there a problem with USB device?

Basically, I'm not fortunate enough to have had this problem. (I
have no B&W machines available for testing, rather just aging 7x00s
and 6500s.)

I *think* this USB-dies-after-boot thing is a live issue, but I'm
not sure, and I haven't really been paying attention. (Remember, I
have no machines with USB, so I couldn't be working to fix the
problem even if I were paying attentiont to it, so...) Anyone care
to comment? Bob Nestor?

Another suggestion I made for Emmanuel is that he could try a more
recent (1.5U) snapshot I've made (but have not yet used even on my
development machine, though I don't anticipate problems and, as it
turned out, didn't even have to lobotimize the floppy to get it to
fit). This snapshot is now posted on http://eclipsed.net/netbsd/.
(It's the 20010404 snapshot.)

Bob, when there are reports of this snapshot working at least as
well as the 20010323 one, 20010404 should probably replace 20010323
on the ftp site, since it has a complete boot.fs. (I may put this
snapshot on my devel machine later this week. I'll let you know if
no one else has reported to port-macppc before then.)

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net