Subject: New user of PowerMacG4
To: 'port-macppc@netbsd.org' <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Ciarcinski, Adam \(ISS Brussels\) <ACiarcinski@iss.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/10/2001 06:09:27
Hi,

I am new on this list, so maybe some of the problems were
mentioned here.  Please, forgive me if I'm saying the obvious.

Last friday I became happy user of Power Mac G4 533MHz with
Apple Studio Display 15" LCD.  I have installed and recompiled
NetBSD-current there, and I encountered the following problems:

- NetBSD OFW console doesn't work for LCD screen, which turns
  black.  I have to connect analog screen to see anything.
  I have noticed that OFW messages are printed out, but nothing
  comes from NetBSD console.

- OFW console is very slow, especially with scrolling

- NetBSD-macppc seems to be quite slow.  I have tried lame3.88
  (MP3 encoder) and it works about 2 times faster than on
  604e/233 MHz on AmigaPPC.  Is this the compiler issue?
  I didn't try gcc-2.95.3 yet, altought I have make a package
  for it under NetBSD-i386.

- I have NVidia GeForce 2 MX - when I start Xmacppc (version 3)
  it has incorrect width, so the pixels are 'distorted'.
  I have no idea how to configure this.

- I have NetBSD on second IDE disk, but it is not possible to boot
  it when there are two IDE disks on the same cable.  It look like
  the problem described in FAQ as 'pciide:0:0:1 lost interrupt'.
  (It's 'wd0:' in my case).  I must connect the disk on the separate
  cable.

- When I put 'ofwboot.elf' and 'netbsd' (kernel) on HFS+ partition,
  I cannot load the kernel from boot-loader.  I can launch either
  'ofwboot.elf' or boot from 'netbsd' file.

Currently I am working (very slowly) on NetBSD-amigappc port.  If macppc
needs some help, please let me know.

Thank you very much for helping me. :)

	kind regards

		- Adam