Subject: Re: New user of PowerMacG4
To: Ciarcinski, Adam ISS Brussels\" <ACiarcinski@iss.net>
From: Daniel Lamblin <daniell@slithy.toves.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/10/2001 11:32:01
> - NetBSD OFW console doesn't work for LCD screen, which turns
>   black.  I have to connect analog screen to see anything.
>   I have noticed that OFW messages are printed out, but nothing
>   comes from NetBSD console.

um, this sometimes happens with displays on older macs too. In the achives I
came across a link for a forth script that delayed the output-device's
initialization and explicitly set its sync rate.  I think you may have to find
a l33t forth script that chooses the digital output rather than the vga one.
I don't think such a script exists as such.

> - OFW console is very slow, especially with scrolling

I don't think theres much argument that life could be so much better if netbsd
handled a framebuffer to make its own console.  I'm surprised that the console
available to mac68k machines doesn't work with macppc machines.

> - NetBSD-macppc seems to be quite slow.  I have tried lame3.88
>   (MP3 encoder) and it works about 2 times faster than on
>   604e/233 MHz on AmigaPPC.  Is this the compiler issue?
>   I didn't try gcc-2.95.3 yet, altought I have make a package
>   for it under NetBSD-i386.
Yeah, maybe it's the compiler issue; its also possible that the G4 is
based on the G3, which is based on the 603, and the 604e has better floating
point units (that I imagine are heavily used in encoding mpeg-1-layer3 stuff)
Of course I doubt that a brand new G4 wouldn't have better FP preformance
than an old 604e running at less than half the clock speed, but I heard bad
rumours.  Now if lame had altivec code, any slowness would definitly
be befuddling.

> - I have NVidia GeForce 2 MX - when I start Xmacppc (version 3)
I have no basis for which to recommend XFree86 4 but I will.

> - I have NetBSD on second IDE disk, but it is not possible to boot
can't help [if that's what you want to call the preceeding]

> - When I put 'ofwboot.elf' and 'netbsd' (kernel) on HFS+ partition,
I'm pretty sure HFS+ is not quite OFW boot friendly, try HFS [just a small
partition, some default configurations that ship from apple have a couple of
KB if not MB free at the end of the disk for which the macos pdisk utility
might help].  ftp://ftp.mklinux.org/pub/mklinux-pre-R1/ppc/MacOS_Utilities/

-Daniel