Subject: Re: 1.5.1 Floppy image
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/09/2001 13:38:08
On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 09:28:11AM -0700, Matt Thomas wrote:

> In doing the 1.5.1_BETA build for macppc I have found that there is
> no way the current boot floppy can fit.
>
> I proprose the following:
>
> 	Remove uninorth and cardbus/pcmcia support.
>
> This will make bootfloppy only useful for older macppc systems for
> floppy booting.
>
> Make a netbsd.ram.gz from GENERIC_MD instead of INSTALL which will
> support all systems and be usable from CDROMs or Net booting.
>
> Anyone opposed to this plan?

Removing only the usb devices and ohci (plus the PCI bus that only
shipped in usb-enabled machines, if that makes you happy) was enough
to make it fit for my 1.5S snapshot.

See the thread about it, oh, two weeks ago now?

There was a lot of discussion about the right thing to do (including
switching to ustarfs for the file system on the floppy, which might
buy enough space for everything to fit) in that thread, so you may
want to reread it.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net