Subject: Partition names vs A/UX partitions in 1.5
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Rob Healey <rhealey@norstar.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/06/2001 19:39:06
	How do you get the 1.5 kernel to recognise a swap partition and
	then get sysinstall to recognise the root and swap partition defined
	by partiton type names instead of wacky A/UX codes burried inside the
	partitions?

	What I did:

	Defined a NETBSD/MACPPC partition on my disk as well as a NETBSD.

	Booted from floppy and watched install desperately want to nuke
	my entire disk since it couldn't find a root partition, I canceled
	out.

	Did a disklabel and saw that the NETBSD/MACPPC showed up as the a/root
	partition but the NETBSD partition didn't show up as swap, just a
	BSD4.2 ufs partition.

	Many people have told me in the past to just "Use the Apple
	partitioning program" but that insists on nuking the entire disk,
	i.e. "initialize", in order to create the A/UX partitions with
	misc values in them; I don't want to rebuild my disk from scratch...

	Looking at the disksubr.c file it appears NETBSD/MACPPC is grok'd
	for root but there is no "NETBSD/SWAP" or anything else to work
	as swap. Also the install refused to recognise the "NETBSD/MACPPC"
	as a valid root partition even though it works fine manually newfs'ing.

	So, is there a way to get the install program to recognise the
	NETBSD/MACPPC partition type as a valid root and the NETBSD type as OK
	to use for swap purposes in addition to BSD4.2 UFS purposes?

	Can one of the developers add a hook to the disksubr.c file to grok
	NETBSD/SWAP type as a valid swap value?

		-Rob