Subject: Re: open firmware and Adaptec 2940UW Controller
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: James Tuman Nelson <jimtnelson@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/05/2001 00:01:38
I neglected to mention that I am trying to boot a Power Mac 7500 running
a 604 processor and trying to boot to NetBSD 1.5.
The ROM version on the Power Domain 2940UW controller is 3.0, though I
wonder if it is really installed, since no "words" are obtained from the
controller under querying with Open Firmware.  I have not tried to flash
it to version 4.1.  Might that help?

Shouldn't there be a way to boot without the boot rom, using Open
Firmware entirely to load the boot file from track 0 that would load
netbsd and run it?  I suspect that Apple does it that way with
/AAPL,ROM, which is why it boots MacOS from the 2940UW.

Jim Nelson