Subject: Re: How does one install NetBSD on a mac cube?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew White <awhite@arc.corp.mot.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/02/2001 13:59:00
Dave Low wrote:

> Thanks, Henry
>
> I did try boot hd:9,ofwboot.elf hd:9,netbsd.ram.gz
> What I got was "could not find: hd:9,netbsd.ram.gz/netbsd or something
> like that.  So then I tried hd:9,ofwboot.elf cd:,netbsd.ram.gz
> and I tried hd:9,ofwboot.elf cd:,macppc:installation:netbsd.ram.gz
> Both methods failed.
>
> I am getting very discouraged,  I only wish that the BSD community would
> try what the mklinux install had, but modified for the CUBE.
>
> Dave Low
> supermac@hawaii.rr.com
>
> on 3/26/01 1:14 PM, Henry B. Hotz at hotz@jpl.nasa.gov wrote:
>
> > At 11:58 AM -1000 3/26/01, Dave Low wrote:
> >> I got a lot further today.  I copied ofwboot.elf,  boot.fs,
> >> netbsd.ram.gz, netbsd-GENERIC_MD.gz, ofwboot.xcf to the root of
> >> Macintosh HD.
> >> Then I used SystemDisk2.3.1.smi to determine that Macintosh HD is hd:9
> >> and then in OF
> >> 0 > boot hd:9,ofwboot.elf hd:9,boot.fs <return>
> >>
> >> The boot loader ran and I got to where it asks for the terminal and
> >> gives a choice of vt100

I've had this work successfully on a G4 AGP and Cube using

0 > boot hd:9,ofwboot.xcf hd:9,boof.fs

If you are doing a dual-disk install (eg on the G4) this will now work (and
allow sysinst) IF you put the NetBSD disk as the master.

As for single-disk install, I'm still stuck on the disklabel problem.

For reference, I've never gotten netbsd.ram.gz or netbsd-GENERIC.... to boot
from a HFS+ partition.

--
Andrew White                Andrew.E.White@motorola.com