Subject: A lot of sucess and a bit of failure
To: port-macppc <port-macppc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/01/2001 13:51:53
Now that we've got a new snapshot that supports the PCIIDE on systemss
like mine I tried an install on my Blue&White G3 which has OFW 3.  A lot
of things worked that hadn't worked before which is fantastic news, but
some things didn't work at all.

First I copied the ofwboot.xcf, ofwboot.elf and netbsd.ram.gz files to
the root level of my HFS+ disk partition.  Unless I just got lucky here
it appears that we now support booting from HFS+ which is great news!

Booting with "boot hd:,ofwboot.xcf netbsd.ram.gz" results in the error:
  method <`usb-kbd-ihandles> not found; ihandle=ff9d2600 phandle=ff84e9c8
at which point the system is dead.

Booting with "boot hd:,ofwboot.xlf netbsd.ram.gz" appears to show the
same error but it proceeds into the Installation Kernel. NetBSD comes up
and identifes my PCIIDE disk which 1.5 didn't, finds both internal and
external SCSI on my Apple/Adaptec card and correctly identifies my USB
keyboard and mouse. But at that point the keyboard is completely dead. If
I disconnect and reconnect the mouse or an alternal keyboard I see the
USB events though. Hitting the caps-lock key doesn't turn the caps-lock
LED on or off though.

So the good news appears to be:
   Booting from HFS+ now appears to work
   The PCIIDE disk/controller appears to work
   The Apple/Adaptec SCSI controller appears to work
But the bad news seems to be the USB keyboard support is lost.

Is this a problem in ofwboot or in the kernel itself?  Since the message
seems to be coming from OFW or ofwboot I assume it's in ofwboot.  Anyone
have any ideas?

Thanks,
-bob