Subject: Re: 7600 Installation
To: Juergen Tritthardt <juergent@mpimf-heidelberg.mpg.de>
From: Chris Tribo <ctribo@del.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/30/2001 14:56:02
on 3/30/01 8:21 AM, Juergen Tritthardt at juergent@mpimf-heidelberg.mpg.de
wrote something like:

> Hi,
>
> I had some minor problems installing NetBSD-1.5 on a 7600 with 2GB disk.
>
> 1. The size for "/" is not big enough for compiling lyx or kde2 so I
> think there should be a hint how big it should be or the sysinst
> settings should be changed to use more useful defaults.

    agreed

> 2. What is a usefull swap space for 64MB or 128MB machines. Are the
> sysinst values OK? I don't think so especially for "installation with
> X11", if my memory is right it gave me 528MB!

    64 - 128 IMHO, I can't see ever needing more than that.

> 3. Network Settings. I had been asked for "media" and answered with
> "10BaseT". Result was that the network (mc0) wasn't working until I
> deleted "10BaseT" from ifconfig. The strange thing is that this was OK for
> sysinst and I just took the sysinst settings.

    Weird, send-pr?

> 4. After booting to singleuser mode I had to do a "mount -A" not
> "mount /usr". I don't remeber for the error but vi wasn't able to run
> without that.

    Because of your next problem

> One generel question: Why is "rc_configured" set to "NO" for macppc and
> set to "YES" for i386?

    Because the sysinst for i386 sets the date, timezone, root password and
rc_configured=yes. Which is what rc_configured=no was originally intended to
make you do manually. Could macppc do the same, sure, but there's probably a
reason why we don't that extends beyond "copy the code from i386". Not
having enough space on the Install disk strikes me as one possibility.

    Chris

--

Atlantis: {13} fortune
Oh, I am a C programmer and I'm okay