Subject: Re: NetBooting with Asante NIC
To: doowirb7 <doowirb7@home.com>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/27/2001 15:12:30
On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, doowirb7 wrote:

> Hello, I read in the NetBSD PPC FAQ that it's possible to netboot with
> the Asante 10NIC PCI card.  I'm trying to netboot my StarMax 4000 with
> OF version 2.0.2 with my iMac as the host running Linux.  I've figured
> out it is /pci1011,14@6 when I run dev / ls.  If I set it as the boot
> device, OF will report the device can't be found.  Even if I try dev
> /pci1011,14@6 .properties it will also report it can't be found, along
> with any other device I try.  Is there anything particular I have to
> do to get OF to let me netboot with the NIC?

	Supported by MacOS and having OpenFirmware fcode are two different
things. I have a RealTek 10/100 card in my G3 that works under Mac OS, but
doesn't have OpenFirmware.

	Whenever you see /pcixxxx,xx@X that usually means that the card
does not have OpenFirmware. To find out for sure, do a dev /pci/@6 or
whatever the path is to the device, and type "words", if it lists open,
close, dma-mapin, or anything to that effect, than it probably can be
netbooted, if it lists nothing, than it can't.

	What you may need to do, is buy a boot ROM chip. Usually there is
a ~28 pin DIP socket on the card (as my RealTek card has) to add on a boot
ROM. With the boot ROM chip, that might add OFW support so it can be
netbooted, I've not looked into this before.

	Chris