Subject: Re: final call for OF vars: Beige G3/266 Desktop
To: netbsd-port-macppc <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel Lamblin <daniell@slithy.toves.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/27/2001 08:40:29
On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 02:31:02AM +1000, Charlie Allom wrote:
> I have had this machine booting before, but I cannot remember
> how! throughout all the port-macppc archives, no one actually
> writes down heir exact OF config. Can someone enlighten me (and
> all future archive hunters)?

actually I don't think I can help you, but you bring up an interesting idea of
maintaining some sort of web-accessable database of user reported working
install methods and boot methods (tracking relevent stuff like OF
settings/version, kernel version, model, adapters etc.) for others to
reference not as an authority but as a system of giving explicit or implicit
clues for them to solve their own install and boot problems.  Now if only I
had the time to set something up myself, this sounds like an excellent user
based netbsd help/advocacy.

> So far I have
>
> boot-device ide0/@0:0
> boot-file netbsd
> load-base 6c0000
> anything else? I am rying the method of a `reset-all' before each
> try of something new, and also using `setenv' instead of just
> trying ` boot ide0/@0:0,netbsd'.. As I know this can make the
> difference in seeing what is right.

um.  a real-base of something might help, and as I understand it, OF doesn't
read files out of FFS formated partitions, so loading the OFWBOOT.XCF out of a
system it can read, and then passing that the parameter of what partition and
location your netbsd kernel is in may help.  Two places that work for keeping
the ofwboot.xcf are on a DOS formatted floppy and on an iso 9660 format CD.