Subject: Re: How does one install NetBSD on a mac cube?
To: Henry B. Hotz" , "Dave Low <supermac@hawaii.rr.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/26/2001 17:53:48
hotz@jpl.nasa.gov

>At 11:58 AM -1000 3/26/01, Dave Low wrote:
>>I got a lot further today.  I copied ofwboot.elf,  boot.fs, netbsd.ram.gz,
>>netbsd-GENERIC_MD.gz, ofwboot.xcf to the root of Macintosh HD.
>>Then I used SystemDisk2.3.1.smi to determine that Macintosh HD is hd:9 and
>>then in OF
>>0 > boot hd:9,ofwboot.elf hd:9,boot.fs <return>
>>
>>The boot loader ran and I got to where it asks for the terminal and gives a
>>choice of vt100
>>
>>At that point the whole operation gets stuck and friezes up.
>>
>>Any ideas at this point????
>
>Nothing strikes me.  I presume you tried blank or vt100 as choices.
>They should be the minimum risk options.
>
>I guess I'm not too surprised you had to use a -current snapshot.

Isn't your keyboard on that system attached via USB?  If so that's your
problem.  As the note on that snapshot indicates, boot.fs isn't built
with USB support.  Since you're booting from the hard drive anyway try
copying the netbsd.ram.gz image there and booting it instead:

   boot hd:9,ofwboot.elf hd:9,netbsd.ram.gz

That file is an Installation Kernel that contains USB support and you
should be able to respond to the terrminal type prompt.

-bob