Subject: Blue and White G3 install
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Roark <roark@bitbox.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/26/2001 08:44:48
I am new to BSD on PPC, so I am running into a few problems,
mainly with open firmware. After much experimenting and pouring
through the faq and install file, I booted from the CD (using the iso
from the netbsd site) and successfully installed the system.
However, I am a bit foggy on how to boot.

I booted from the cd via a two step process as follows:

1. boot cd:\macppc\installation\ofwboot.elf
2. BOOT: /macppc/installation/netbsd

That allowed me to boot and install, but now I want to boot from the
scsi disk attached via the adaptec 2940 card. I used the following
to assure that "open" was a word for the device:

dev /pci/@d/ADPT,2940U2B/disk@0:0
words

I used the same device path to try and boot:

boot /pci/@d/ADPT,2940U2B/disk@0:0

But this doesn't work.I get the following error:

DISK-LABEL: LOAD (noninterposed) notsupportedload-size=0
adler32=1

LOAD-SIZE is too small

With OFW 3.1.1, I should be able to boot the netbsd kernel from
partition 0 without using ofwboot.elf, correct? I am convinced I am
just missing something here. Can anyone give me a pointer?

Thanks,

Michael