Subject: Re: Can OF-2.0.x boot at all? (was: Re: dual boot and OF-2.0.1)
To: Emmanuel Dreyfus <p99dreyf@criens.u-psud.fr>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/25/2001 11:50:48
At 8:09 PM +0200 3/25/01, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:

:)Currently, the NetBSD partition is labeled HFS in the partition table, I
:)wonder if this is a problem.

Not sure.

:)Question is: how do I boot NetBSD? As I understood, It's not possible
:)yet to boot directly from OF-2.0.4 when you have an Apple partition map.
:)Am I right?

Correct.  OF < 2.4 can *only* load xcoff files from ISO 9660, network,
MS-DOS, or partition 0.

:)Then my idea was to use the boot floppy to load the bootloader, and to
:)boot the kernel from hard disk: In OF boot with 'boot fd:0 -a' and enter
:)'ata0/disk@0:11' at boot prompt. It does not work. I tried various
:)partition numbers, I en up with "device not configured", or the
:)bootloader seeks a file on the floppy.

I had the same problem on my OF 1.0.5 machine.  It seems that many versions
of OF only configure the device you initially boot from.

Try burning ofwboot.xcf to a CD-R in ISO 9660 format, and boot it from a
SCSI CD-ROM, and have it load your kernel from a SCSI hard drive.

Good luck,
  -- MW