Subject: Re: Preserving Apple partition map (Was: ATA/66 Controllers)
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: Daniel Lamblin <daniell@slithy.toves.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/25/2001 02:53:39
On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 02:15:06PM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Cliff Crawford wrote:
>
> > * Daniel Lamblin <daniell@slithy.toves.net> menulis:
> > > I havn't tried NetBSD with it yet, mainly because I think I want to use a
> > > manual install process, which I havn't figured out yet, to preserve my
> > > apple partition map.  Is that even possible?
>
> Yes. Don't run installboot.
>
> > Yes--I used Drive Setup under MacOS to create an HFS partition, an A/UX
> > root partition, A/UX swap, and A/UX usr.  Then when I booted from the
> > NetBSD CD, disklabel showed the A/UX partitions as wd0a, wd0b, and wd0g
> > respectively.  I was then able to newfs them without messing up the
> > partition map, and then unpack the installation tarballs to them etc.
>
> The above works great.

Okay, thanks, I'm gratefull for these posts. This, allong with the cube install
instructions that came along recently, should give me enough insight to do a
manual install process with newfs, mount, pax, and a little text editing.  is
vi included on the install root?

I'm curious what the exact string for the A/UX partition types in the
partition table is (ala Apple_HFS), because I like using pdisk (the SIOUX
macosized one that mklinux had a while back, over drive setup).

-Daniel