Subject: Re: XF86Config: device for Powermac 8600
To: Chris Tribo <ctribo@del.net>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <p99dreyf@criens.u-psud.fr>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/25/2001 10:10:05
> So... you might try using dev / ls to figure out where the video card is at,
> and try to decipher what PCI:1:11:0 means. At a guess that would be PCI Bus
> 1 (as opposed to bus 0):PCI slot 11 (use .properties on "bandit" or
> "/chaos/control" and that should get you the PCI slot #):Instance 0 (only
> one PCI instance for video cards that I know of.

Well, I chosen PCI:1:11:0 from the dmesg output:

bandit1 at mainbus0
pci1 at bandit1 bus 1
pci1: i/o space, memory space enabled
ofb0 at pci1 dev 11 function 0: Apple Computer Control
ofb0: 640 x 480, 8bpp
wsdisplay0 at ofb0: console (std, vt100 emulation), using wskbd0

I tried .properties in /chaos/control, I didn't find any information
that looks useful...

> I really don't know all that much about PCI, and I certainly don't know
> what the BusID line in the config file translates too, only thing I can
> say is search the man pages / XFree web site for info on that and/or the
> 8600.

Well, I did this already, there is not that much information available.
What is surprising is that I remember running X on this machine a long
time ago, I just had to type X, and it worked immediatly. Now I'mm
running XFree-4, maybe this is the problem? Perhaps my video board is
not yet supported?

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus.
Ugly one-liners -- http://gizmo.minet.net:8080/sh