Subject: Re: [HOWTO] Installing on a recent Mac (DRAFT 1)
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Fairbrother <peter.fairbrother@ntlworld.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/24/2001 14:22:05
Great stuff, especially step 0, delete the install instructions. A couple of
points

setting OF3: It's easier to leave auto-boot true, set the boot-device and
boot-file to nothing, and set a boot-command. _IF_ this works (it does on my
G4 400 AGP Sawtooth, but apparently not on all machines? Have nothing else
to test it on) you can use a boot selector: see my post of 20th march for a
how-to. It works (with the obvious modifications) on shared drives too, not
just dual drive macs. I hadn't worked out how to share a drive when I wrote
it.

There is a sysint ram kernel on my (Mission) 1.5 CD (in
/macppc/installation). It works on my G4 AGP, though I had to burn it on a
hybrid CD to get ofwboot to see it. I don't think ofwboot.elf/.xcf + OF3 can
open kernels on HFS?

The new openbsd ofwboot looks interesting here. Don't know if it will open
net- kernels, but they did get it from net- in the first place. Just a
thought.

Keep up the good work!

Peter Fairbrother