Subject: Re: ATA/66 Controllers
To: Eddie Sato , NetBSD/macppc <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Tribo <ctribo@del.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/24/2001 00:34:46
on 3/23/01 7:24 PM, Eddie Sato at esato@terra.com.br wrote something like:

> on 23/03/2001 18:49, Daniel Lamblin (daniell@slithy.toves.net) wrote:
>
>> I bought a used sonnet tempo ata/66 card.  its not bad, but in the powermac
>> 8500 it experiences problems, particularly when playing an audio stream from
>> MP3 say, that cause sound to drop and click annoyingly, although data
>> integrity isn't a problem.  The device is seen as a scsi device by macos.
>>
>> I havn't tried NetBSD with it yet, mainly because I think I want to use a
>> manual install process, which I havn't figured out yet, to preserve my apple
>> partition map.  Is that even possible?
>>
>> -Daniel
>
> Do you know if there's any kind of issue of this card with ide cd-rom
> drives? Have anyone been successful installing NetBSD using it? Until now,
> I've seen comments only from use with hard disks, and nothing about using
> cd-rom drives and the card.

    There is a note on OWC's web site, that removable media is not supported
on the Sonnet cards. There is also a note on Sonnet's web site saying that
they support fixed media only. This is definitely a botch on their part. I
would _really_ like to know why MacOS is seeing an IDE/ATA card as a SCSI
device. Is it possible to treat an ATA device as an ATAPI device?

    This info coupled with what Izumi Tsitsui wrote about the chip support
on the Sonnet cards, I'd have to say steer clear of the Sonnet Tempo.

    I will however point out that there is a FLASH ROM Firmware update for
the Tempo, that can be had at
http://www.sonnettech.com/downloads/adapter_sw.html This should fix quite a
few things support wise, let "us" know if this fixes anything. However,
there's no mention of removable device support, so I doubt that you can use
removable media with this update.

    I'm tempted to buy the VST ATA/66 card, at least they publish some
performance and device specifications.

    Chris

--

Food = GOOD