Subject: Re: What happens when the floppy's too big?
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/23/2001 15:20:23
On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 02:51:23PM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> > Looking at the INSTLALL config, the only usb device we add is a
> > keyboard! So dropping it won't reduce installability.
>
> Yeah, but to drop it I also had to remove the ohci device. That
> doesn't affect anyone else does it?

Well, you didn't _have_ to drop it, did you? It's just useless w/o usb.

> This means that those with a USB floppy device already couldn't use
> the boot floppy, right?

Right. Since the only usb thing was a keyboard, they already couldn't use
a USB floppy, so they didn't loose anything.

> > Actually, you can probably also drop uninorth support. That chipset was
> > only used in OF 3 machines AFAIK, the ones w/o a floppy. :-)
>
> Oh, good call. Too bad the snapshot's already done. ;^>
>
> Seriously, would that be a better thing to drop? Shall I go back and
> do so?

Not sure.

> > We need either multi-floppy support, or two configs. While the OF 3
> > machines don't have floppies, they can net-boot or direct disk boot
> > install kernels and use that to install. So we need something with all of
> > the pieces removed above too.
>
> Yeah, I noticed that. So is there a convenient Makefile command to
> make netbsd.ram.gz and boot.fs build differently? (I fear "no", but
> I guess I can just go back and rebuild the former and slip it into
> the snapshot.)

No. I think what we should do is something like i386, where they have
INSTALL, INSTALL_LAPTOP, INSTALL_SMALL, and INSTALL_TINY. I don't think
we need 4, but more than one would be good. And they have provided prior
art on this. ;-)

Take care,

Bill