Subject: Re: What happens when the floppy's too big?
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/23/2001 17:58:57
On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 02:51:23PM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> Looking at the INSTLALL config, the only usb device we add is a
> keyboard! So dropping it won't reduce installability.

Yeah, but to drop it I also had to remove the ohci device. That
doesn't affect anyone else does it?

Fwiw, just the little bit removed by dropping that USB support got
the kernel in under the wire. See http://eclipsed.net/netbsd/

This means that those with a USB floppy device already couldn't use
the boot floppy, right?

> Actually, you can probably also drop uninorth support. That chipset was
> only used in OF 3 machines AFAIK, the ones w/o a floppy. :-)

Oh, good call. Too bad the snapshot's already done. ;^>

Seriously, would that be a better thing to drop? Shall I go back and
do so?

> We need either multi-floppy support, or two configs. While the OF 3
> machines don't have floppies, they can net-boot or direct disk boot
> install kernels and use that to install. So we need something with all of
> the pieces removed above too.

Yeah, I noticed that. So is there a convenient Makefile command to
make netbsd.ram.gz and boot.fs build differently? (I fear "no", but
I guess I can just go back and rebuild the former and slip it into
the snapshot.)

Hopefully, those using new world machines can just mv their current
kernel to a safe place, mv the netbsd-GENERIC in the snapshot in,
untar all the packages, reboot, and have a working system.
(Seriously, I do this all the time.) But it'd sure be nice for this
to be a proper snapshot, including a bootable kernel for newer
powermacs.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net