Subject: Re: ATA/66 Controllers
To: Chris Tribo <ctribo@del.net>
From: Daniel Lamblin <daniell@slithy.toves.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/23/2001 13:49:11
On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 04:17:49PM -0500, Chris Tribo wrote:
>     For anyone interested, there are now three companies making ATA/66 cards
> for PCI PowerMacs. Sonnet has two, Tempo, which is ACARD based (supported
> now(?)), and an IDE RAID card. Promax is back with the TurboMax ATA/66, and
> VST has an ATA/66 controller, looks like it's based on either Promise or
> Trypoint/Hynes HPT 366. No way to tell from the picture though. A little
> more info can be had from http://www.macsales.com

I bought a used sonnet tempo ata/66 card.  its not bad, but in the powermac
8500 it experiences problems, particularly when playing an audio stream from
MP3 say, that cause sound to drop and click annoyingly, although data
integrity isn't a problem.  The device is seen as a scsi device by macos.

I havn't tried NetBSD with it yet, mainly because I think I want to use a
manual install process, which I havn't figured out yet, to preserve my apple
partition map.  Is that even possible?

-Daniel