Subject: Re: What happens when the floppy's too big?
To: Chris Tribo <ctribo@del.net>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/23/2001 01:35:15
On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 09:40:02PM -0500, Chris Tribo wrote:
>     Well, the right thing (in my somewhat warped mind) would be to look
> through the i386 makefile and see about breaking the install image across
> two floppy disks as i386 does. However, stripping out VERBOSE_* and PCI
> sound support might get the kernel small enough to fit on a single floppy,
> with USB keyboard support.

Hrm.

I'm not sure splitting the macppc floppy is even a possibility.

Since we're incapable of dealing with the majority of fdcs in these
machines (mostly swim3), would we be able to recognize and load
anything off of a second inserted disk?

OpenFirmware isn't around to do the 'boot fd:0' any more at that
point, is it?

(Granted, the solution is to get around to writing a swim3 driver,
but...)

I'll try pulling VERBOSE_ and sound stuff out of the kernel config
tomorrow in the interest of getting a new snapshot out.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net