Subject: Re: Any resolution for LKM issues?
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/16/2001 10:37:53
On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Greywolf wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> # Unfortunatly that means that we MUST change the toolchain to get them to
> # work. :-(
>
> Actually, doesn't that mean that you just change the definition of the
> text (-T) address, like the kernel makefile does, or am I just showing my
> lack of knowledge on this subject? :-)
>
> I mean, couldn't you build the LKM and pass it -Ttext e0000000 or some
> such?   It doesn't strike me that the toolchain itself needs to be changed
> for that.
>
> ...or is this the 26 vs. 32 bit issue remarked earlier?

It's the 26 vs 32 bit issue. :-) By default, gcc will emit code which will
not be able to reach any routine outside of the D and E segments, and not
even all of those. Thus it can never reach the kernel.

> [Wolf is seeking education, please not to ridicule the fuzzy-brained lupine.]

Understood an appreciated. The only stupid questions are either those not
asked, or those asked to show off the asker's supposed knowledge. :-)

Take care,

Bill