Subject: Re: Confused about disklabel
To: Philip Brodd <philip-brodd@uiowa.edu>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/15/2001 18:44:01
At 6:27 PM -0600 3/15/01, Philip Brodd wrote:
>From looking at disklabels from other NetBSD installs, it seems that 'a'
>is always used with the / partition, 'b' with swap, and 'g' with /usr.
>Are these hard and fast rules, or just conventions?  To configure sd1 as

Just conventions, providing you can boot and the kernel knows where
to find /etc/fstab. ;-)  In other words using an 'a' partition for
root is a good idea, but everything else can change.

I have it on reasonably good authority that you can newfs and mount
even the 'c' partition.  A completely blank disk with no partitioning
information should be usable as a single big partition inside NetBSD.
I have not tried this myself.

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.