Subject: NetBSD Disklabels and partition was Re: Update to OS 9.1 makes NetBSD unbootable?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Josh Kuperman <josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/10/2001 11:38:15
OK, as I read this it becomes clear to me why I am going nuts. I want
to get it so I can boot into either MacOS or NetBSD (not necessarily
from openfirmware though that would be the best.)

The NetBSD installer, as far as I can tell, will gladly take over my
only harddisk and wipe out the HFS partition. The partition already
has 4GB with onld Apple_UNIX_SVR2 partitions from Linux PowerPC and
Debian Linux excursions. One way of reading the install instructions
implies that I should be able to somehow install into this space, with
the drawback that it won't be bootable from openfirmware.

I can't figure out how to do that. If I delete the old linux
partitions will the installers sport it? Is there something wrong with
the way the partitions currently exist.

Other readings seem to imply that I would need to get another
Harddisk, perhaps hook up a third party SCSI drive, and install on
that. Perhaps there might be a way where I could do a minimal install
onto a 100MB zip disk and make that disk bootable, setting it up so it
could mount the internal ATA drive partitions.

--
Josh Kuperman
josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us