Subject: The 'manual install process'
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel Lamblin <daniell@slithy.toves.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/08/2001 17:37:23
hi,

I'm going to roll 2 points and one question into one mail.

Question:
So I booted the installer, but I don't want to BSD label my disk, nor
re-partition it, I just want to use my already set up pdisk partitions (I used
the mac based pdisk).  That way I can boot into macos and netbsd on the same
disk.
  How do I manually install, I suppose it involves properly mounting
partitions and using pax, but I don't know how to use pax.  is there a
document somewhere I might be refered to?

point 1:
I downloaded the macppc CD iso, and tried to boot from it.  I failed.
The instructions claimed I should try a command like:
  boot scsi-int/sd@3:0,OFWBOOT.XCF NETBSD.RAM
after downloading a multi-boot image from ftp.iastate.edu, I saw a file named
NETBSD.MACPPC.  The iastate CD did not load the OFWBOOT.XCF at all, but
with the original cd
  boot scsi-int/sd@3:0,OFWBOOT.XCF NETBSD.MACPPC
worked fine.   Although I do see the file NETBSD.MACPPC mentioned in the doc
section on creating a boot disc, I think it should be mentioned as part of the
propper boot command.
  Its strange because with the file being only in the ISO9660 partition I
didn't see it under MacOS, so how was I to know to specify it.  Also I thought
9660 only allowed 8.3 names, which netbsd.macppc is definitly not.

point 2:
The CD is not a boot CD, nor is any CD based on this process.  It doesn't work
too well with 8500 or 8600 machines.  OFWBOOT.XCF is not automatically loaded
if the CD is in the drive; further, NETBSD.MACPPC is not automatically
specified.
  Why isn't there a fake blessed folder with a FORTH script with a file type
of tbxi in it? (ala: http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/ybin/doc/yaboot-faq.html)
  That'd make it MACppc bootable on I think just about anything... with open
firmware.

Thanks,
-Daniel