Subject: Re: PowerMac 9600/200 [and 8600] OFW troubles
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel Lamblin <daniell@slithy.toves.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/08/2001 17:10:57
On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 10:08:28PM +0100, bruno.barwise@worldonline.fr wrote:
>paraphrased: I can't get my monitor based output-device to do anything

Although I don't have a PM9600, I do have a PM8500 and my room-mate has a
PM8600.

in the PM8500 I use a /bandit/3Dfx,Voodoo3
and in the 8600 he uses a /bandit/IMS,tt3dx (or something close, UltraRez)

both machines proport a OFW v1.0.5

my machine has no trouble outputing OFW to either ttya, /chaos/control, or
/bandit/3Dfx,Voodoo3 (latter being the best option).

But his machine can only output to ttya.
Trying to output to either of the other two devices (sometimes with the
iXmicro card removed) produces only a black screen, although the kbd input
still works.
  We have checked to see that the multi-sync monitor hooked up to the output
devices can sync at 640x480@60hz and 640x480@67hz, which it can.  However,
output is still black.

we tried the:
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/SystemDisk-tutorial/of105patch.html
[where we removed all '\' and pasted it into the end of the NVRAMRC and the
Boot-command (not at the same time) using bootvars1.3b]
without any luck.

This wouldn't be a big problem if the installer didn't actually rely on the
OFW console. [we were experiencing serial communication problems, I think my
cable is bad]

Perhaps the 9600 has the same problem.
I recommend people begin looking into using yaboot to boot a netBSD kernel,
which would probably require that yaboot support the FFS, although it should
work nicely with a iso9660 CD.

-Daniel