Subject: Re: PowerMac 9600/200 Open Firmware troubles
To: None <bruno.barwise@worldonline.fr, port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/08/2001 16:40:29
At 10:08 PM +0100 3/8/01, bruno.barwise@worldonline.fr wrote:
>Yet I have encountered a problem with the first step of the
>installation process.  The SystemDisk utility (version 2.3.1) will
>not let me change any of it's input and output settings.  The
>defaults are kbd for input and /chaos/control for output.

This is wrong, as you figured out.

>I have read in your various FAQs and text help files that the 9600's
>output should be set to bandit@F4000000/IMS,tt128mbA@F.  Yet
>whenever I enter any new setting into System Disk, it automatically
>reverts to it's defaults.  Hence when I restart the computer and
>attempt to access Open Firmware (with alt-command-O-F or with the
>System Disk check box), I get a black screen.

It shouldn't revert to defaults, it should save what you enter.  Make
sure you are doing a save, not a save to file command.  The latter
just saves a settings file to the hard disk and does nothing to OF.

>The computer seems to start fine, but there is no way of knowing
>with a black screen.  Is this due to the PCI graphics card (shipped
>default with 9600's)?  Could it be my AppleVision 17 inch screen?

Actually there was a person with a 1710 monitor who could not seem to
get a good display from OF.  It worked fine at the same resolution
from MacOS, but OF wouldn't sync up.  Very strange.

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.