Subject: PowerMac 9600/200 Open Firmware troubles
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: None <bruno.barwise@worldonline.fr>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/08/2001 22:08:28
HI!

I own a fabulous PowerMac 9600/200, but, as it seems I may not be =
able to install OS X, I felt that it would be good to install NetBSD.  =
I have been interested in getting to know a Unix environment for awhile=
 as it might help me understand internet protocols (et al) a bit better=

Yet I have encountered a problem with the first step of the insta=
llation process.  The SystemDisk utility (version 2.3.1) will not let m=
e change any of it's input and output settings.  The defaults are kbd f=
or input and /chaos/control for output.  I have read in your various FA=
Qs and text help files that the 9600's output should be set to bandit@F=
4000000/IMS,tt128mbA@F.  Yet whenever I enter any new setting into Syst=
em Disk, it automatically reverts to it's defaults.  Hence when I resta=
rt the computer and attempt to access Open Firmware (with alt-command-O=
-F or with the System Disk check box), I get a black screen.  The compu=
ter seems to start fine, but there is no way of knowing with a black sc=
reen.  Is this due to the PCI graphics card (shipped default with 9600'=
s)?  Could it be my AppleVision 17 inch screen?

I also occasionally ge=
t two error messages from System Disk 2.3.1, these two always accompany=
 themselves, in the same order:

An error Occurred
"FSMakeFSSpec() fail=
ed when trying to load bootvars file"

A Fatla Error Occurred:
"Could'n=
t get get file info"

Finally, is my only option attempting to use a re=
mote console, i.e. with a friend's G3?  The only problem is that my 960=
0 seems to have a networking hick-up.....

Thanking you in advance.....=

Bruno Barwise

bruno.barwise@worldonline.fr
font_man@hotmail.com